Principal ICT Specialist, PITD3
Position title: Principal ICT Specialist, PITD3
Position N°: 50065418
Publication date: 10-Jul-2020
Closing date: 09-Aug-2020
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries (RMCs)). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency for ‘Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy and the ‘High 5’ priority of “Industrialize Africa”. The objectives of the Complex are to: (i) develop the ‘Africa Industrial Strategy’; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by leveraging on experienced individuals who can be consulted on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) act as the Bank’s Spoke person on “Industrialize Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISON:
The role of the Bank’s Industrial and Trade Development department is to promote the implementation of the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5’s initiatives with special emphasis on the Industrialize Africa strategy. The department leads the Bank’s activities in the area of industrial policies, ICT, trade and investment climate, and private sector investments in industry and services.
The ICT Operations Division is responsible for the Bank Group’s public sector-based activity in the ICT sector. In particular, the Division is responsible for the identification, appraisal and subsequent supervision of the Bank’s lending and grants programme to Regional Member Countries for ICT projects. In addition, the division supports other operations of the Bank requiring sectoral advice. The main objective of the ICT Operations Division is to build on the Bank’s sector skills to become a leader in the development, financing and implementation of ICT projects and programmes across the African continent.
The Bank is hiring a Principal ICT Specialist The position has the following functions:
- To lead, and coordinate the identification, appraisal and negotiation of Bank operations for the ICT sector, involving RMCs, Governments, Private Sponsor and other development partners or concerned parties;
- To supervise the implementation of projects by RMCs and to coordinate the Bank’s responses on procurement, financial management, evaluation, restructuring and audit of projects;
- To direct the provision of expert advice on issues related to ICT sector development including advice to RMCs;
- Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the RMCs and RECs based on priority and selectivity;
- Mobilise external resources to prepare feasibility studies, co-invest in projects and finance economic research work of the Division
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal ICT Specialist in addition to the above mentioned tasks shall:
- Dialogue with Regional Member Countries (RMCs), Partners and relevant specialised agencies on project requests;
- Advise the Bank and RMCs on the viability of ICT projects;
- Identify funding options including the use of PRGs, PCGs and the applicability of PPP structures;
- Carry out identification, preparation, appraisal and supervision missions; Prepare and process project documentation (including Project Concept Notes and Appraisal Reports) and follow up on reviews and approval processes;
- Mobilise co-financing for projects from other MDBs, donors and the private sector;
- Manage the strategic project cycle process including consultations with RMCs and the Bank’s Country Programme Officers to ensure that prospective ICT projects are included in the overall agreed lending plans of the Bank and the RMCs;
- Manage a portfolio of projects, ensuring that each project is properly supervised, is disbursing funds and is achieving its original development goals. In doing so, apply the rules and regulations of the Bank correctly to issues of procurement and fund management and disbursement;
- Initiate and execute programmes and studies to develop knowledge in Africa on strategically important ICT subjects. Where necessary, mobilise funds for studies. To do so, it will be necessary to develop terms of reference for studies and pilot projects and comply with donor information needs to obtain financial support.
- Develop consultancy terms of reference and recruit consultants to support the work area. Observe fully Bank procurement rules and regulations;
- Undertake Ad hoc activities including coordination with other operational and regional complexes; integration of ICT in Country and Regional Strategy Papers; strengthen the Bank’s knowledge and expertise (article writing, briefing and analyses); support broad financial mobilisation activities of the Bank; attend Business Opportunity Seminars with the private sector to explain upcoming procurement opportunities in Bank ICT projects.
- Participate in relevant skills development activities to ensure that technical, market, financial and processing knowledge is maintained to a required level.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in the field of ICT, Telecommunications, Management, Business or Economics or any other related discipline.
- Should have at least six (6) years for the Principal position proven track record in the ICT sector. Key areas are ICT/Communication policy and regulation, infrastructure deployment and development, data economy infrastructure and services, and eGovernment services.
- Proven practical experience of working with Governments in Africa to design and deliver national and cross border ICT projects for economic development
- Experience in strategic planning and execution of ICT projects/studies.
- Experience of working with international financial institutions (IFIs) or with bilateral aid and development agencies, including familiarity with their financing arrangements for grant and/or loan support;
- Rigorous, results-oriented individual with strong analytical skills, sound business judgement and the ability to identify needs and constraints, to set priorities and translate them into measurable actions.
- Effective consultation and advisory skills coupled with a client orientation to ensure relevancy.
- Sound market knowledge with a particular emphasis on current digital trends in regulatory thinking.
- An ability to think strategically, to make sense of complexity and to express thoughts simply both in writing and orally.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to vary the use of them according to the audience including government officials, private sector and other stakeholders;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.