Position title: Knowledge Management Officer , BDEV3
Position N°: 50102222/ 50102223
Publication date: 02-Jul-2020
Closing date: 01-Aug-2020
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely Light up and Power Africa; Feed Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Board of Directors provides oversight and strategic direction to the African Development Bank Group. It is composed of Executive Directors who are representatives of the African Development Bank member countries. Specifically the Board is responsible for the conduct of the general operations of the Bank, and carries out the following functions: (1) determine the general structure of the Bank’s services; (2) approve the financing policy and take decisions concerning loans, guarantees, equity investments and fund loans by the Bank; (3) determine the interest rates of loans and guarantee commissions; (4) approve the Bank’s operations program and administrative budget; (5) prepare the work of the Board of Governors; and (6) submit accounts and annual reports, as well as the administrative budgets for the approval of the Board of Governors. The Board does its work through a series of permanent Committees that review and discuss policy and program documents and make appropriate recommendations to the whole Board. The Independent Development Evaluation (BDEV); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR) report to the Board.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The overarching mission of the African Development Bank’s Independent Development Evaluation (BDEV) is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank in its regional member countries through independent and influential evaluations, oversight over self-evaluation processes and products, and proactive engagement in evaluation partnerships and knowledge-sharing activities. The core mandate of BDEV is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of African Development Bank’s self-evaluation activities. BDEV also collaborates and exchanges information with bilateral and multilateral development agencies’ evaluation departments, and undertakes joint evaluation of co-financed projects and programs.
BDEV has three divisions; BDEV1, BDEV2 and BDEV3. BDEV1 and BDEV2 divisions focus on undertaking evaluations. BDEV3, the Knowledge Management, Outreach, and Capacity Development Division, is responsible for knowledge management, dissemination and outreach activities around IDEV evaluations, and for supporting the development of evaluation capacities both in the Bank and in its Regional Member Countries.
The main objective of the Knowledge Management Officer position is to provide support to evaluation teams in fostering engagement with stakeholders throughout the evaluation process, and on retrieving, compiling and presenting evaluative knowledge in ways that are useful for meeting various knowledge needs.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager BDEV3 the Evaluation Officer will:
- Work closely with the Principal Knowledge Management Officer, Senior Knowledge Management Officer and evaluation teams on the implementation of IDEV stakeholder engagement strategies;
- Work closely with evaluation task managers and teams throughout the evaluation process to support the retrieval, compilation and sharing of knowledge in ways that are responsive to clients’ needs;
- Identify relevant sources of evaluation knowledge and other information and extract, compile, analyse and present this for use in the preparation of evaluation reports, presentations, and other knowledge and communication products;
- Support evaluation, knowledge management and dissemination activities (such as meetings, missions, events) conducted by professional staff and/or consultants and participates in these activities as required;
- Identify and contact internal and external sources and other stakeholders to seek required information;
- Consolidate, categorize and maintain background information and records on relevant issues, developing related databases and information systems and updating them accordingly;
- Ensure that an accurate audit trail is maintained of all stakeholder engagement and that all contacts and activities are recorded in a stakeholder database;
- Perform other duties as may arise.
- Holds at least a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Social Sciences, Policy Analysis, or related field.
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience working in development organizations.
- Understanding of evaluation processes
- Ability to retrieve, package and present information according to the needs of the client/audience
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Knowledge or experience working in knowledge management or communication
- Experience in participatory approaches and stakeholder engagement
- Experience with outreach activities.
- Strong client orientation.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrable ability to work collaboratively as a professional, strong team player with a respect for others and the ethical requirements of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both English and French would be desirable.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of integrated document management system and/or online communication channels is an added advantage.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.